30 September 2022
The EPO is pleased to announce
that its new Patent Quality Charter will enter into force on 1 October 2022. Delivering
high-quality patents and services remains the EPO’s top priority. A
fast-changing digital environment calls for a dynamic approach to keep our
products closely aligned with users’ demands and expectations.
The charter draws on extensive
consultation with a wide spectrum of stakeholders, including the SACEPO working
party on quality. It sets out the principles shaping EPO’s quality policy and
reflects our continuous journey towards excellence.
What does ‘quality’ mean at
Our stakeholders rely on
European patents – delivered in a timely manner – to provide the highest levels
of legal certainty, predictability and consistency. Conceived as the touchstone
of quality for both the Office and its stakeholders, this charter
is built on five pillars:
- design: building systems to deliver quality products and services
- support: promoting knowledge-sharing to achieve excellence
- shared values: nurturing sustainable quality from sharing our
- metrics and learning: fostering a culture of continuous learning
- dialogue: exercising continuous engagement with stakeholders
The charter enables a shared
understanding of quality, ultimately guiding the EPO as it aims to deliver products
and services that consistently meet the highest standards.